Thursday, October 4, 2007

Just for the record--I think Sony Ericsson Championships Lite is a terrible idea

I haven't blogged about the Commonwealth Bank International Championships because I think the creation of such a competition is the worst idea to come along since getting rid of the ad point in doubles. One has to wonder: What next?

As Richard Vach points out on Tennis X, the experiment was designed to motivate--with money--players into playing at the end of the season. But the "road map" itself, with its shortened season, is already supposed to do that.

I am a fan of many players who are not in the top 8 or the top 10 or even the top 20. I want them to do well. But I don't want them to do perform in a tournament for the also-rans. Such an event detracts from, and even cheapens, the Sony Ericsson Championships.

I now await whatever bad idea Larry Scott and crew have in store for us next.

No comments: