Thursday, November 6, 2008

Can they please just stick to talking about tennis?

It's bad enough that I have to listen to Corina Morariu, Barry McKay and Lindsay Davenport mangle the pronunciation of everything from players' names to the country where the Sony Ericsson Championships take place. But I'm used to that. Some of the other banter is worse. Like hearing Morariu (who I'm quite sure is neither vegan nor vegetarian) be oh, so shocked that people eat camels. How is that any worse than eating lambs or cows (this happens to be a pet peeve of mine)? Or hearing Davenport inform us that Maria Sharapova "feels more Russian than American," after Sharapova has almost had to take out a billboard that says I'M RUSSIAN. Or hearing Vera Zvonareva's psychological makeup deconstructed practically on the half-hour.

Stop it! Talk about the tennis matches, and if you have nothing to say about them, remember--silence is nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When it's just Corina Morariu and Barry McKay, it's fine but add Lindsay and whoa! It's possible that Lindsay is new and will get better but didn't she work for the BBC at Wimbledon? They don't talk that much, do they? Three people in the booth is just too much. In the end I had to mute my TV, which is sad because I can't hear the ball or the calls. BTW, is it just me or is the TV angle a bit too far?

Diane said...

I really don't like listening to Barry McKay; I think he is the least informed (not just about tennis) of all of them. I do like Leif Shiras and wish he were there. And yes--three people is one too many (though I would have gotten a kick out of Nadia's gig, if she had been able to go through with it).

Lindsay has done commentating before, but not too much. I would rather she were not in the booth.

You know, in the past, I've thought the angle was a bit far, but I can't say that I've felt that this time. Or perhaps I'm so used to it that I've adjusted to the distortion.