Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Sometimes work interferes with watching tennis

Pity. The Jankovic-Ivanovic match was originally scheduled to be first in the Day 1 Sony Ericsson Championships round robin play today, and was I was glad I would be able to get to see an hour of it, but no such luck. Svetlana Kuznetsova and Vera Zvonareva went on first, and I did see some of that, but then I had to leave, notebook in hand, so I could follow the scores electronically. I have to work all day tomorrow, too, so it will be another electronic scoreboard day for me.

Zvonareva is 1-0, having defeated Kuznetsova 6-2, 6-3. And Jelena Jankovic is 1-0, too, having finally broken her spell of losing to Ana Ivanovic. Jankovic took the match, 6-3, 6-4.

My prediction about Dinara Safina--that she may be mentally, and perhaps physically, spent--is looking accurate so far. Safina was up 5-2 in the first set, but lost it 7-5 to Venus Williams, then went on to lose the second set, also (6-3). Venus Williams is 1-0 on the first day.

2 comments:

mjgrace22 said...

Talk about work interfering with watching tennis, i'm still working at 3am (local time) in my office and i can't believe i'm not watching the venus-lena match right now...

Now at 3-3 in the third set... aaargh

Diane said...

I missed it, too, but I watched some of it later on the Tennis Channel re-showing. It's not the same as watching it live, though.