Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Kim Clijsters certainly fooled me

I guess "my entire body is wrecked" and "never never never" don't have the same meanings I thought they did. When Kim Clijsters retired, she said her body was badly banged up and it took a long time for her to get going in the morning, she had to do so many exercises to do to get it to work properly and to be relatively pain-free. She also said she absolutely would not change her mind about retiring.

However, Clijsters appears to be on the verge of formally requesting a wild card for the 2009 U.S. Open. She is also expected to request wild cards for Cincinnati and Toronto.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She said "never said never". Not "never never never". Check your facts

Diane said...

Oh, please. I wasn't being literal. With immense connotation--and often literally, too--she said never never never.

Anonymous said...

She had me completely fooled too, Diane. She seemed so focussed on her impending marriage and having a family that I never ever thought she'd be back. She never seemed to me to be extra competitive; that she played because she enjoyed it, so I'm doubly surprised that she's back on the tour. It will be quite interesting to see how she does. I wish her the best.

Mel

Diane said...

I wish her the best, too. Kim is such a great player, and should have won more than one major. Having her back is certainly good for the tour.