Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wimbledon--what they said

How pleased are you with the way you've coped with the physical demands of the last ten, twelve days, playing both the juniors and on the senior tournament as well?
I lost first round in everything in seniors, so it wasn't that physically demanding.
Laura Robson

What's the biggest danger for you going into the final?
Just putting too much pressure on myself, I think. On paper it looks like I should win. But Vera, I've played her several times; she's beaten some good people. Her last two matches she's been down a set, so she's obviously a fighter. She never gives up.
Serena Williams

I believe that next time it will be better for me.
Petra Kvitova

There are many things that I should work, and I will do it with pleasure. Now I have lots of motivation, so I'll be happy to work.
Tsvetana Pironkova

Do you tend to sleep well before a final like this? Do you just ease into it or do you really feel it churning inside?
No, I'm an excellent sleeper. That's something I do really well.
Serena Williams

...Do you have any off‑court talents you can tell us about?

...Yeah, I used to play the saxophone. I guess that's an okay talent to have. But I kind of stopped that, as it's hard to travel with a big saxophone.
Like Lisa Simpson?
Well, I would ideally like to be able to play like her, but I wasn't quite that good.
Laura Robson

Did you think you were in the final after the first set maybe?
No. No. Not even close. One set is like an eternity, you know.
Tsvetana Pironkova

...I can break the racquet, but it doesn't mean I'm not there in the match. I'm trying all the time.
Vera Zvonareva

3 comments:

Overhead Spin said...

Diane did you read in any online news articles how David Mercer had to apologise for saying that Laura Robson if she wants to get better needs to lose the puppy fat. I thought it was funny seeing as the British media are wont to label everyone else fat and out of shape. It was perhaps wrong of him to say it on air, but I am sure quite a lot of them were thinking it.

Personally, I think she needs to get fitter and to develop more weapons. As it is now, she has none.

Diane said...

I didn't know for sure that he had apologized to her--just that she had spoken with him. And if a player does need to drop some weight to get fit, I don't have a problem with a sports writer or commentator saying it, provided: (1)s/he would also say it about a man, and (b)it is a genuine problem; sometimes players who appear "fat" to some people are not really carrying too much weight, and (c)s/he says it in an appropriate manner.

And yes, it's odd that someone from the British media would be pressured to apologize for that.

Anonymous said...

Her mother was quoted as not being too happy with the comment.

But I think female tennis players wouldn't have been too happy with her daughter commenting on their sexual behaviour - far more offensive and un-called for than anything David Mercer said.