Thursday, June 30, 2011

Sears leaves LTA to coach Ivanovic

Why Nigel Sears and Ana Ivanovic chose today to make this announcement is a mystery to me, but make it they did: Sears is leaving is post as head women's coach at the Lawn Tennis Association in order to coach Ana Ivanovic. Presumably, he will also give up his position as captain of the British Fed Cup team.

Ivanovic has hired and fired a number of coaches in recent years, and recently said that she wanted to hire a new coach and stay with him ("him" only--Ivanovic ruled out having a woman as a coach). "I've admired Nigel for some time now and I can't wait to start working with him on court," the world number 18 said.

Sears has worked with Daniela Hantuchova, and he also coached Amanda Coetzer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it a mystery to you they chose to announce today? Why does it matter when they announce. I don't get it.

Diane said...

I just wondered why he didn't wait until after Wimbledon to announce he was leaving the LTA. I've no doubt that others didn't find it odd :)