Monday, September 5, 2011

U.S. Open--what they said

...I tried to be excessive aggressive....
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova

She does try to intimidate. She stays close to the baseline so you feel like you have no space to hit to. That's something I expected going into the match. I really try not to look so much across the net.
Ana Ivanovic

When you see footage of your own serve, what goes through your mind as you watch it?
I feel kind of like lazy. I feel like it's like, you know, I don't do much and I kind of go slow, and then all of a sudden I hit it.
Serena Williams

They hit more balls in that rally than they hit in the entire match.
Virginia Wade, commenting on the Petkovic-Suarez Navarro match

When I played, they had what we called "ethical boundaries." I know it's not illegal, but I question the ethics of what she's doing.
Elise Bergen, on Taylor Townsend's stance at the net

Overall, how would you assess your performance over the entire tournament?
Not so good. You can save maybe one match or two match, but the average has to be much, much higher. I just say you can't play two points in eight points or ten points.... 
Francesca Schiavone

I don't have any more space. I mean, I have a new house in L.A. I created a karaoke room, so I can't put trophies in there.
Serena Williams

She doesn't say a word, but it would have been choice if she had.
Virginia Wade, after Schiavone made an error

She gets these unbelievable shots from the angles because she's moving so well. She's such a great fighter. So sometimes I have to realize that it's not only my fault missing the balls. She makes me miss, as well.
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova

Has he (Djokovic) ever done your fist pump?
Yeah, of course. Even the guy in Starbucks did that.
Ana Ivanovic

2 comments:

Eric said...

Q. Still, a few years ago during the European circuit when another player was No. 1, you said, Hey, we all know who the No. 1 player in the world is. Do you think we have the situation like that where you are the best player in the world now?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't know. I don't know. Like I don't know if I'm the best or not. I believe I am and I think a lot of other girls, women in the locker room, believe they are, too, as they should. I don't think anyone should go out and say that they're not.

============================

Q. So you say you just keeping on climbing the mountain. Is the mountain closer to Mt. Everest or more like Henman Hill?

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I think I'd like to say it's a bigger mountain like Everest. It's something you can always reach and achieve whether I'm playing tennis or doing something else. I don't ever want to get to the top of the mountain. I want to keep being able to reach something, so...


Hi Diane,

Didn't know if you saw these quotes, but I thought they were pretty nice. Serena seems so much more magnanimous to her colleagues in her return. I'm glad that she's matured more as a person.

Diane said...

Well, I want the old Serena back because this one seems to have been created--at least to some extent--by a p.r. machine.